Joe DiOrio launched his law practice in May of 2005 after more than two decades of experience at large law firms.
With an established reputation for aggressive advocacy on behalf of his clients, Joe was known for creating dialogue with opposing parties in an effort to resolve disputes in a cost-effective manner. He envisioned an independent, entrepreneurial model which led to DiOrio Law Office, a bankruptcy and creditors’ rights practice. Today, his practice also focuses on the related areas of business litigation, and banking and commercial lending.
Over the course of his 40+ year career, Joe has continued to handle a wide variety of legal matters including commercial finance, bankruptcy, receiverships, and creditors’ rights, … vigorously representing financial institutions, bankruptcy and receivership estates and other interested parties.
He is frequently appointed as a state court receiver, examiner, and special master in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts. In those capacities, he has operated and sold many businesses and sold many sizeable real estate properties. Joe was selected as a subchapter V pool trustee under the Small Business Reorganization Act of 2019.
Joe has achieved recognition in all of his practice areas.
- He was selected as the sole Lawyer-of-the-Year — in the Providence Metro region — by Best Lawyers and US News & World Report seven (7) times for the practice areas of: Bankruptcy Litigation (2023, 2019 and 2013), Banking and Finance Law (2023, 2020 and 2017), and Bankruptcy & Creditors-Debtors Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law (2014)
- The firm has also been recognized by Best Law Firms since 2012 in the three practice areas of: Bankruptcy & Creditors-Debtors Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law, Banking and Finance Law, and Bankruptcy Litigation.
- Joe earned the Martindale Hubbell rating AV, the highest rating given to attorneys attained from confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary.
- He has been and continues to be recognized by Super Lawyers.
- Joe was named a 2020 honoree in the Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law rankings. He was included in the Hall of Fame category where he received a special lifetime achievement award for senior leaders of the profession.
- He was also recognized by Rhode Island Monthly in the practice area of “bankruptcy and workout” since 2020 in its Professional Excellence in Law listing.
Joe currently is a board member of the Justinian Law Society of Rhode Island. He is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Commercial Law League of America, the Turnaround Management Association, and the National Bankruptcy Trustee Association. He is a Fellow of the Rhode Island Bar Foundation and a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Previously, he was a longstanding board member for the Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting victims of domestic violence.